Brooke
Brooke and I met when we were in the 3rd or 4th grade at Trinity Camp in Alabama. We hit it off the first time we met, and at the end of the week, we exchanged mailing addresses so that we could keep in touch. We did write each other for awhile, but as we got older, we lost contact. It was my second year in college, when we reconnected. Brooke came to FWBBC, and we once again became the best of friends. We even got to travel on a ministry team for the school one year. We made some great memories together: traveling and singing and staying in some very strange homes. :) We still laugh about many of them today. When I decided to move into the dorm, she became my suite-mate. I loved having her next door. We tried to study together, but usually ended up laughing. Our Senior year of college, we moved into an apartment with four other friends. Brooke and I shared a room, and she was such a good roommate. I don't think we ever had one argument. That was such a fun time as well. While living in F5, we both got engaged. And while planning our weddings, we would always try to see who could get the best deal on dresses, cakes, etc. Brooke married Matthew Turnbough on May 17 (I think that's the right date), and Jeremy and I both were in their wedding. On May 25th, Jeremy and I were married. Brooke and Matthew drove straight back from their honeymoon to be in our wedding. (That's what friends do.) Life changed after that. My closest friends in life were spread across the world. Brooke and Matthew decided to move to Spain to become missionaries. Jeremy and I were able to go visit them about 4 or 5 years ago, and it was such a wonderful time.
It just so happened that they were on furlough and were able to meet Brooklyn before they moved back to Spain.... and to tell us that they were expecting their first son, Andrew. We were thrilled! (Brooke now has two other children: Daniel and Caroline.)
This past summer I got to see her again and meet her children for the first time. I only got to see her for a short time, but we just picked right up where we left off the last time. I describe our friendship like Anne and Diane's from "Anne of Green Gables"....we have a kindred spirit.
This past Tuesday night, I received a very sad phone call from sister-in-law, Joni. She told me that Brooke's father had passed away suddenly. My heart sank! The first thing I wanted to do was call her, but I knew it was the middle of the night in Spain, and she was probably trying to get her things ready to come back home. Today is the funeral, and I am here, instead of there. However, my heart and mind is there. I wanted to go so badly, but because of finances and several other reasons, I couldn't go. I hope to talk with Brooke soon, but I'm just giving her time with her family. Please pray for them today and the weeks to come! She is very dear to me, and I love her!

I was so sad to hear about Brooke's dad. Their family has been in my prayers this week. There's nothing like FWBBC friends! We all share a bond like no other!
ReplyDeleteSweet friend,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post. You were so sweet to send me a card and the chick-fil-a card! Yes, I used it!! I am back in Spain now and feeling a little calmer. I would love to talk to you soon.
Brooke